So my dad is a diabetic but doesn’t really follow the rules. One of his favorite rules to break is getting the apple pies from McDonald’s (where he also gets cheeseburgers and fries). I love making him sugar free apple pies so that he can still eat his favorite dessert but it isn’t as bad for him.
It’s hard to find good sugar free recipes, but this apple pie one is my favorite.
2 (9 inch) pie shell
3 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
1 (12 fluid ounce) can unsweetened apple juice concentrate, thawed
6 cups sliced green apples
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Peel and cut apples into cubes.
2. In a small bowl whisk together cornstarch, cinnamon, and 1/3 cup of the apple juice concentrate. Set aside.
3. In a large saucepan simmer apples with remaining apple juice concentrate until apples are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in cornstarch mixture and continue to simmer until thickened. Remove from heat.
4. Spoon apple mixture into pastry-lined pie plate. Cover with top crust. Seal and flute edges. Cut steam vents in top.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
And there you have it! So simple to make and it tastes wonderful. Add some vanilla ice cream or my favorite Bird’s Custard for a little extra.